About Infusion Therapy
Infusion therapy refers to the administration of prescribed medication in liquid form, directly to the vein. This type of treatment is also known as intravenous (IV) therapy.
There are several reasons why infusion therapy is preferred over other methods of therapy administration, such as oral. The main reason is to have immediate access to the bloodstream, so that the body can absorb the medication or liquid nutrients faster and more effectively.
It is also an alternative method to provide treatment to patients who cannot take the medication orally, either because of difficulties swallowing, or because of other complications of the gastrointestinal system. Similarly, infusion therapy is the preferred method to provide medication to patients who cannot move, who are unconscious, or present other mobility complications. In some cases, certain medications are exclusively available for intravenous administration.
In the most critical cases, infusion therapies facilitate a fast correction of fluid and electrolytes imbalance, as it immediately supplies the nutrients they need. Similarly, infusion therapy is used when the patient’s condition requires the medication to begin acting quickly.
Home Infusion Services
Our home infusion services include drug delivery and its administration in the comfort of your home by nurses trained and certified as required by federal and state laws.
Among the therapies available for home infusion are:
- parenteral nutrition (TPN)
- pain management (IV pump)
- chemotherapy (5-FU IV pump)
Requirements for home infusion services:
- Access to a caregiver for treatment assistance (for patients who cannot administer the treatment themselves). In these cases, the caregiver will be trained in the treatment process.
- Patient’s mobility is restricted to their home
- Medical order for home infusion services (must be specified on the order).
- Medication must be among those approved for home infusion
- Patient must be in stable medical condition
Professional Infusion Center
In addition to our home infusion services, we also have our own infusion center located in Mayagüez. We also collaborate with other infusion centers around the island.
In order to set up an appointment or to request additional information, please contact us. Our attentive staff will offer the highest quality service, at a safe and pleasant setting.
- Prescription with diagnosis
- Copy of health insurance ID
- Medical justification
- Demographic information
- Diagnostic lab results
- Gammagard® IV
- Gammagard® SQ
- Orencia® IV
- Simponi Aria®
- among others